Friday, May 20, 2011

Sweet Sweet Water...


It's been a pretty amazing week for Barb and I, we've been out at the mine camp in the southwest of the country for the last 6 days. The camp runs pretty smoothly, the 10 or so guys working here have a good rapport and all work really hard. We've been doing lots of different things; setting up the office area in the main house, buying a large water tank for the camp, scouting out a clean water source to supply the camp in the future. This first picture is at the big waterfall in the area, where they're planning to install a hydroelectric project in the future. We went out to see it while the guys took a reading of the river flow rate.


This picture of Barb on the hill is from the day we went to scout the water. There's a natural spring coming from the mountain near this point, and we were measuring the distance from the campsite, in order to estimate the cost of running a pipe across the valley to provide fresh water for the camp. We went back another day with a GPS unit to measure the elevation - we may be able to send the water just using gravity, no pumps needed.


We stopped along the road on our way to the mine to check out the drummaker's shop - Barb was pretty excited! As I'm writing this post Barb is outside with the miners, playing on the drums she bought! Music has an amazing power to transcend cultural boundaries and language barriers. Last night I brought out my harmonicas, and some of the guys were very interested. I brought along a few extra harps to give to the guys, so I think they're going to learn. This afternoon I heard one of them practicing across the camp on his own, so there's definitely some interest!

Battery power is running out on our computer, and I don't know if we can run the generator tonight, so I'll cut this post short. I think we're driving back to Entebbe this weekend so more posts should follow in the next few days. I must say that both Barb and I are really loving this trip and adventure, it's been amazing in many ways. I'm sure more adventures are on the way for both of us!

No comments: