Tuesday, November 6, 2007

soaking up the sun

It's probably the hottest it's been yet today, it feels great. I'm quite surprised how much it cools off in the evenings - I'm thankful for the sweaters and pants that I packed along! It never really gets above 29 or 30 degrees in Nairobi, not as hot as I was imagining.

We've had quite an adventure so far, and only 5 days into the trip! Yesterday Barb, Naiomi and I went to the giraffe park, a large open space for giraffes and warthogs (remember Puumba from The Lion King?) with a small public viewing/feeding wall. Yes, feeding the giraffes...both from your hand and from your lips if you're brave enough! Actually the giraffes saliva is antiseptic, so (apparently) it's safe...their foot-long tongues pull the food pellets from between your lips! Yikes...good photo-op.

Speaking of photos...Barb's camera has died before we even got here - problems with the battery connection for some reason. She's out now going to buy a new one.

4 days until the wedding, then it's off on safari! We just watched the movie Out of Africa, with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford - it was set right here in Kenya, with many beautiful scenes of the Maasai Mara where we will be going on safari for 3 days. I'll send another update when I can...internet access is hard to come by so far.

No comments: